Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Dark Entries Review


I'm going to try my hand every now and then to writing a review. I have been trying to get my hands on every kind and style of comic book. Now I like the Super Hero stuff just as much as the next guy but sometimes the capes and over the top bad guys don't cut it. I have always liked Hell Blazer I suppose it was one of the first books that I read that wasn't covered in bright colors and spandex. John Constantine is such a good character and in the right hands he becomes an excellent character. Which brings me to Ian Rankin's book Dark Entries. This is a classic Constantine story. The story centers on a reality t v show that at first appears to be set in a haunted house. Constantine is dragged in to help the housemates get to the source of the problem. Rankin is known for his crime fiction and he makes the transition from novels to comics very well. he crafts a great story. The art work is done by Werther Dell'edera making his debut with this one. The art style works well with this one, very simple and dark. This is one to pick up especially if your a fan of Andy Diggle's run on Hell Blazer they have approached the character much the same way giving Constantine his sharp wit and sarcastic sense of humor. Another thing that I think is key to a good Hell Blazer story is the atmosphere of where it is set with Andy Diggle's work you got a feeling that the city of London was a character itself. A place steeped in so much history and myth that is just fuels the story so well. That same atmosphere is found in Dark Entries from the Big Brother style house to the streets of the city this is a very well crafted world that we have been dropped into. Have a look see what you think and let me know what you think.


No comments:

Post a Comment